Sunday, March 15, 2009

Book Review - The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

I'm still anxiously waiting for the library to get the movie in

Doon and Lina have just graduated from their final year of school at the age of 12, and consequently experience the right of passage bestowed upon all the people of Ember at this stage; Assignment Day. They receive their jobs from the mayor and set out to do their civic duties as many others before them, but when Lina stumbles across a message that appears to be from ‘the Builders,’ creators of the City of Ember, it is clear that theirs is a much more burdened fate.

The City of Ember is a fascinating tale of a dystopian society, where a young boy and girl in all of their bravery and desperation, work together to try and save their beloved people from a looming eternal darkness. This being the first Book of Ember in a series that currently consists of four, all questions were not answered by its completion, but I look forward to moving on to the second book and unravelling more of the saga.

4/5 Snakes

5 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series. I got a bit bored with the 3rd book, but I loved the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Charley.

    One day I will get around to reading the rest of the series. There's just so much to read out there! First I would like to see the movie, then I'll make them more of a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your review kind of reminds me of The Giver, with the assignments. I do not know if I would want to read something so close since I love The Giver so much.
    I do agree though with waiting to be able to watch the movie first. I find that watching the movie first allows you to actually enjoy it, instead of paying attention to what they may have left out or changed.

    -jessica.marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The movie wasn't that good, to be honest. It was okay, but it changed a lot, and it's weird to have Doon played by a 20-something year old.

    I really loved this book. The next three in the series aren't as well written. This one feels more global, like it can appeal to adults as well as kids, and the other ones feel almost as if the reader is being talked down to. The third one isn't as bad - but it's a prequel, different than the dystopian feel. Anyway, I enjoyed reading the series, but the first was by far the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It bothers me when they cast a movie all wrong, especially when the book gives such a clear vision. I suppose Hollywood has a different agenda, though, and looks to what sells more tickets as opposed to what's authentic to a storyline.

    ReplyDelete